How to Recover Lost Files and Data
Each and every day, we save hundreds of files like photos, documents etc. to the hard disk in our PCs. We also delete some of them as they are not needed anymore. It also happens that we accidentally delete important files only to find that they are gone, forever. Almost all of us have faced the situation and moved on. But what if the file is so important that you absolutely need it?
If you lose your data, you can of course go to a data recovery service provider. But did you know that data recovery is most of the times very expensive? While approaching a professional for help is a good idea, there are certain things you can do yourselves to try to recover the lost data before deciding to spend a huge sum. Though your data is deleted, it is not actually erased from your hard disk, it is still there. But you have to know how to recover it. If you accidentally deleted important files, you can easily recover the deleted files.
There are many tools available to recover lost files. One of the most effective and powerful tools is a free file recovery software called Recuva. With this tool, you can recover lost files after they are accidentally deleted. You can recover files even in the event of an accidental disk format.
What you should do in an event of data loss
1. If you accidentally deleted something, ensure you don’t save anything on that drive. For example if you delete a photo from D:, don’t save anything to D:.
2. If you lose something from C:, you should not install the recovery software or any software on C:. You should also not save any file on C:. If you don’t want to increase the chances of losing the data (especially on C:), shut the system down immediately and connect the HDD to another PC where you can install Recuva to recover the data.
To recover your lost files, follow the steps below;
1. Install Recuva and open it. Click on the Welcome Wizard.
2. The next window gives you the option to choose from different file types. Choose the one you want. For example, if you want to recover a picture, select Pictures. If you want to recover all file types, select Other and click Next.
3. The next window asks where you want to recover the file from, like My Documents, removable drive hard disk etc. and click Next.
4. In the next window, select Enable Deep Scan and select Start.
5. After the scan completes, Recuva lists all the found files. Select the ones you want to recover and click Recover.
Do note that Recuva can even recover deleted files from a pen drive or a memory card. Recovering lost files is as easy as it gets, provided you have not modified the partition in any way. Give it a try and most probably, you will recover your lost data.